photo credit Jane Beiles for Wilton Magazine
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, smashed and peeled
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 28-oz. can whole peeled plum tomatoes, puréed (include the juice) or you may use freshly canned summer tomatoes 1- 8 ounce jar roasted red peppers (drained)
- ¼ cup crème fraiche or Half and Half
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Garnish a drizzle of pumpkin oil & fresh chives, or diced grilled cheese croutons
In a 6-quart Dutch oven, heat the oil and butter over medium-low heat until the butter melts. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft but not browned, about 8 minutes. Add the flour and stir to coat the onion and garlic.
Add the broth, red peppers, tomatoes, and 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat while stirring the mixture to make sure that the flour is not sticking to the bottom of the pan. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes.
Let cool briefly. For a creamier soup use the optional cream. Using an immersion blender, purée in two or three batches. If using a traditional blender or food processor fill container no more than halfway and leave top slightly ajar for safety. Cover with dishtowel to prevent splashes.
Return the soup to the pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with chives or croutons.
* Recipe adapted from Fine Cooking Magazine Issue 91